I have once again teamed up with Better Than Bouillon – but this time, I’m celebrating their newly-released Culinary Collection and putting their Smoky Chipotle flavor into the most wonderful pasta known simply as Smoky Chipotle Pasta! Loaded with zesty sausage, sweet peppers, and (of course) some smoky chipotle, this dish is for anyone who enjoys a rich, creamy pasta with a kick to it.
This post was sponsored by Better Than Bouillon/Summit Hill Foods.
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) salted butter
- 3 bell peppers, diced (I used one green, red and yellow)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds smoked sausage and/or chorizo of your choice (I use half Southern-style smoked sausage sliced into 1/4-inch pieces and Mexican-style chorizo which comes in a tube, similar to how breakfast sausage does), see Jeff's Tips
- 3 1/2 cups broth of your choice (I use 3 1/2 teaspoons Smoky Chipotle Better Than Bouillon + 3 1/2 cups water)
- Juice of 1 lime (optional)
- 1 pound ziti rigate (ziti with ridges, but any short-form pasta will work - same cook time!)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (I used a blend)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Smoky Chipotle Better Than Bouillon
- Add the butter to the Instant Pot, hit Sauté and Adjust to the More or High setting. Once melted, add the peppers and onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Then, add the sausage and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add the broth and lime juice (if using) and stir, scraping the bottom of the pot to make sure it's free and clear of any browned bits.
- Add the pasta, but do not stir. Simply smooth it out with a wooden spatula or mixing spoon so it's mostly submerged in the broth. Secure the lid and move the valve to the sealing position. Hit Cancel followed my Pressure Cook or Manual for 6 minutes at High Pressure. Quick release when done.
- Add the sour cream, cheese, chili powder (if using) and Smoky Chipotle Better Than Bouillon. Stir until well combined.
- Let the pasta rest for 5-10 minutes for the sauce to thicken and come together. Serve and enjoy topped with additional cheese and chili powder, if desired.
If, for whatever reason, you cannot get your hands on the Smoky Chipotle flavor, try Chili Better Than Bouillon instead!
You can use any sausage you wish. Be it Italian, breakfast, chorizo (in a tube or links), chicken, kielbasa, bratwurst, plant-based or even hot dogs! Just use between 1 1/2 - 2 pounds.
Adding shrimp to this pasta is a nice touch! Add some thawed and peeled shrimp in Step 4 just before adding the dairy. Stir for 2-3 minutes until curled and opaque.