Instant Pot Best Potato Salad
Instant Pot Best Potato Salad
One of the most requested recipes I’ve received has been Potato Salad. Except there’s one thing: I’ve never been particularly fond of the stuff.
- 4 lbs of potatoes cut into large, 1-inch chunks (NOTE: I suggest using 2 lbs of white or Yukon Gold AND 2 lbs of red, rinsed with the skin on and any early indents of sprouts cut off. If using Russet or Idaho potatoes, peel the skin off.)
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups of mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp of Russian or Thousand Island dressing (if using Russian, make sure it’s the lighter kind and not red as some brands vary – I like using Ken’s Steakhouse Russian)
- 1 tbsp of dijon mustard (like Grey Poupon)
- 1 tbsp of yellow mustard (NOTE: even if you hate mustard, I suggest using it. You will not taste it specifically but it will make the dressing taste amazing with how it cuts in flavor when combined)
- 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 – 1 cup of sweet relish (but you can use finely chopped dill or kosher pickles if you prefer)
- 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 1/2 tbsp of celery seed (not the same as celery salt)
- 1 bunch of scallions, chopped (if you’d rather use celery, use about 3 ribs of it and dice but I prefer scallions for the crunch)
- 1/4 cup of dill, ripped up into small pieces (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- 2.8 oz jar of Hormel Real Bacon Pieces OR 6 strips of cooked bacon, diced into small pieces (optional)
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
This is the steamer basket I used. It will fit the 6 or 8QT Instant Pot.
This will easily serve 8 people with BIG appetites. It’s an incredibly rich and generous dish.
Some prefer celery in their potato salad for crunch and you can totally add that too if you wish, I just happen to prefer scallions!
This will keep in your fridge in an air-tight container for a solid week.
- Take a steamer basket and add the cut potatoes followed by the 5 eggs to it (NOTE: The steamer basket makes life so much easier with this recipe and is very affordable, but if you don’t have one just lay the potatoes directly into the liner pot of the Instant Pot and rest the eggs of top)
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot and place the steamer basket into it, gently secure the lid (making sure the eggs are clear of it so they don’t crack) and hit “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” at High Pressure for 6 minutes. Quick release when done
- Meanwhile, as the potatoes and eggs are pressure cooking, create the dressing. In a large mixing bowl, add in the mayonnaise, Russian/Thousand Island dressing, apple cider vinegar, relish, mustard, paprika, celery seed, scallions and dill. Mix until well combined and set aside in the fridge
- Once done pressure cooking, remove the steamer basket from the Instant Pot (or drain the potatoes through a colander if you didn’t use the suggest steamer basket) and immediately place the eggs in an ice bath for 90 seconds. Allow the potatoes to cool for 10-20 minutes. Peel the eggs and then coarsely chop them up
- Once the potatoes have cooled down a bit, add them to the mixing bowl along with the egg, bacon (if using) and cheese (if using) with the dressing and gently toss until fully coated (NOTE: Do be gentle when you mix it up because we want the potatoes to retain their large, chunky form. This way, the consistency of both the potatoes and the dressing will be perfect)
- Place in the fridge to cool and set for 3-4 hours
- Enjoy with ANY of my dishes – especially my Baby Back Ribs and Perfect Ten Burgers!