Chimichurri is an herb infused sauce that hails from Argentina. It typically combines parsley, olive oil, flavored vinegar and a few basic spices to create something very special that goes beautifully over a protein (in this case, chicken), rice and everything nice. Easy peasy and quickly made, this Chicken Chimichurri will have you shimmy in a hurry! Goes great over yellow rice.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 2 large shallots, roughly chopped
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (I use low sodium)
The Chimichurri Sauce
- 1 cup packed fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot, hit Sauté and Adjust so it's on the More or High Setting. After 3 minutes of heating, add the shallot and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Add the chicken and sauté for 2-3 minutes longer, until it's pinkish-white in color.
- Add the broth. Secure the lid, move the valve to the sealing position, and hit Cancel. Then hit Manual or Pressure Cook on High Pressure for 4 minutes. Quick release when done.
- Meanwhile, as the chicken's cooking, add all the chimichurri sauce ingredients to a food processor or blender. Blend until puréed into a sauce.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked chicken from the Instant Pot to a serving dish. (NOTE: you can either discard the broth in the pot or refrigerate/freeze it for a rainy day as a great starter to my Chicken Noodle Soup)
- Pour the chimichurri over the chicken, toss to coat and serve. Goes great with Spanish rice!
The chimichurri sauce goes amazingly over any protein, grain, vegetable or even pasta! So feel free to make just the chimichurri on it's own and double or triple should you desire!