Yellow Rice, aka Arroz Amarillo, is most commonly found in Mexican & Spanish cuisines. It has an undeniable flavor and here, we are going to do it in only FIVE ingredients (in fact, it can even be done in four). The secret to the yellow color is in a spice known as turmeric which is heart-healthy and anti-inflammatory as well as has the potential to prevent against some serious conditions! It simply doesn’t get better, tastier, quicker or easier than this!
In fact, this is a way you can make Spanish Rice on your own without it being boxed!
- 2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed (see Jeff’s Tips)
- 2 cups water (or, for more flavor, a broth of your choice – chicken or garlic preferred)
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 stick) salted butter OR ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (NOTE: you can also add half of each)
- ½ - 1 tablespoon garlic salt (see Jeff’s Tips)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- Add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot and stir. Secure the lid, move the valve to the
sealing position, and hit Manual or Pressure Cook on High Pressure for 3 minutes. When done, allow a 10-minute natural release followed by a quick release.
- Remove the lid, fluff with a fork and serve.
Regardless if you use salted/unsalted butter or olive oil, I think the savory level of the dish is perfect as is. But you can always start by adding ½ tablespoon of garlic salt in Step 1 and then add more to taste in Step 2. To that point, you can add any seasonings you wish while fluffing.
If you’d rather use brown rice, pressure cook for 25 minutes with a 10-minute natural release for softer rice and 15 minutes with a 5-minute natural release for firmer.