Instant Pot Pasta Italia
Instant Pot Pasta Italia
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) salted butter
- 1-2 shallots, diced
- 1 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (optional)
- 3 cloves (1 tablespoon) garlic, minced or pressed
- 3 cups garlic or chicken broth (I used 3 teaspoons Garlic Better Than Bouillon + 3 cups water)
- 2 cups marinara sauce (I use Victoria brand), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil, loosely packed
- 1 pound (1 box) of mezze penne or ziti rigati
- 12 ounces frozen meatballs (optional; if you don’t feel like using frozen meatballs, you can make my awesome ones here – just make them half the size)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half & half
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5.2-ounce package of Boursin (any flavor) or 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into chunky cubes
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce (Costco has my fave if not making your own – see Jeff’s Tip)
Should you wish to make this “al forno” style (which is Italian for “baked in the oven”), simply add about 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese to the top of the pasta just before serving and place the air fryer lid on top. Hit Broil (400°) for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly brown to your likeness. If you don’t have an air fryer lid and wish it to be al forno, simply transfer the pasta to a large casserole dish, cover with cheese and broil in the oven for a few minutes until bubbly brown – just keep an eye on it as all oven vary.
To make your own pesto sauce, add the following to a food processor and pulse until puréed:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Add the oil and butter to the Instant Pot and hit Sauté and Adjust to the More or High setting. Once the butter’s melted, add the shallot and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer. Add the sausage (if using) and sauté until lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, 1 1/2 cups of the marinara sauce, pepper, basil and stir.
- Add the pasta but DO NOT STIR – just smooth it out until mostly submerged in the liquid. Top with meatballs (if using). Again, DO NOT STIR.
- Pressure cook for 6 minutes. Quick release when done.
- Add in the cream, Parmesan, Boursin, pesto and remaining 1/2 cup of marinara sauce. Stir until well combined.
- Enjoy either right away or al forno (see Jeff’s Tip).