Instant Pot Egg Drop Soup
Instant Pot Egg Drop Soup
If you’ve been following me and my recipes, you’ll know I’m obsessed with Chinese food by now. I’ve made SO many Chinese dishes already that I’d do my line of Jewish relatives proud.
And since I just love soup (have you tried my Hot & Sour Soup yet?!), I had to make another. It’s time to drop some eggs into a lovely, light chicken broth and make EGG DROP SOUP!
If you’ve tried my Stracciatella Soup, this is basically the Chinese version of that – ribbons of egg in a thick and soul-warming chicken broth. It also couldn’t be easier to make in the Instant Pot. I’m not even kidding, folks! This is one of the simplest things ever, takes no time at all and has a tremendously wonderful payoff!
Here’s How I Made It!:
Start off by taking a few scallions…
…and slicing ’em up.
Then let’s go to the Instant Pot and add in some chicken broth…
…and sesame oil.
Stir everything together, secure the lid and cook at high pressure.
While the soup base is cooking, take four eggs…
…and crack in a bowl using two whole eggs with whites and yolks, but just the egg whites from the other two.
Whisk together well and set aside.
Then make the cornstarch slurry by adding in equal parts cornstarch…
…and stir together until it’s nice and smooth.
Once the soup’s done cooking, heat the pot up to bring to a bubble. While it’s heating up, add in the scallions…
…and the turmeric.
And once it bubbles, add in the cornstarch slurry…
…and stir immediately.
After it bubbles for about 1-2 minutes, turn the pot off.
The soup will have thickened once the bubbles die down, so now add in the eggs…
…and stir immediately for about a minute until ribbons have formed and all is combined nicely.
Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
I swear this Egg Drop Soup is JUST as good as any Chinese restaurant 🙂
- 4 cups of chicken broth (I used 4 tsp of Chicken Better Than Bouillon + 4 cups of water)
- 1 tsp of ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of white pepper (if you don’t want a little zest to it, leave it out)
- 1 tsp of seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 3 strands of scallions, divided (2 for the soup, 1 for garnish) and chopped
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric (this really just enhances the color)
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch + 2 tbsp water for slurry
- 2 large eggs + 2 egg whites, beaten
- Chinese noodles, for topping (optional)
Some people love this with corn added in as well. If you’d like that, just add in a half 10 oz box of frozen sweet corn kernels right before pressure cooking!
The white pepper is going to add a little zest to it (which I love). If you don’t like a little spiciness, simply leave it out!
Make it vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth or using a mock-chicken broth!
Got more people coming? Double the recipe!
- Add the chicken broth, ground ginger, garlic powder, white pepper, seasoned salt and sesame oil to the Instant Pot. Hit “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” High Pressure for 3 minutes. Quick release when done
- Hit “Keep Warm/Cancel” and then “Sauté” and Adjust so it’s on the “More” or “High” setting
- Add in the scallions and turmeric. Once the soup begins to bubble, add in the cornstarch slurry and stir for another minute
- Turn off heat and once the bubbles die down, add the beaten eggs and stir well
- Ladle into bowls and top with with some chinese noodles if you desire!