If you’ve been following me and my recipes, you’ll know I’m obsessed with Chinese food by now. I’ve made SO many Chinese dishes already that I’d do my line of Jewish relatives proud.
And since I just love soup (have you tried my Hot & Sour Soup yet?!), I had to make another. It’s time to drop some eggs into a lovely, light chicken broth and make EGG DROP SOUP!
If you’ve tried my Stracciatella Soup, this is basically the Chinese version of that – ribbons of egg in a thick and soul-warming chicken broth. It also couldn’t be easier to make in the Instant Pot. I’m not even kidding, folks! This is one of the simplest things ever, takes no time at all and has a tremendously wonderful payoff!
Here’s How I Made It!:
Start off by taking a few scallions…
…and slicing ’em up.
Then let’s go to the Instant Pot and add in some chicken broth…
…and sesame oil.
Stir everything together, secure the lid and cook at high pressure.
While the soup base is cooking, take four eggs…
…and crack in a bowl using two whole eggs with whites and yolks, but just the egg whites from the other two.
Whisk together well and set aside.
Then make the cornstarch slurry by adding in equal parts cornstarch…
…and stir together until it’s nice and smooth.
Once the soup’s done cooking, heat the pot up to bring to a bubble. While it’s heating up, add in the scallions…
…and the turmeric.
And once it bubbles, add in the cornstarch slurry…
…and stir immediately.
After it bubbles for about 1-2 minutes, turn the pot off.
The soup will have thickened once the bubbles die down, so now add in the eggs…
…and stir immediately for about a minute until ribbons have formed and all is combined nicely.
Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
I swear this Egg Drop Soup is JUST as good as any Chinese restaurant 🙂
- 4 cups chicken broth (I used 4 teaspoons of Chicken Better Than Bouillon + 4 cups of water)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (if you don’t want a little zest to it, leave it out)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 strands of scallions, divided (2 for the soup, 1 for garnish) and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (this really just enhances the color)
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water, mixed together to form a slurry
- 2 large eggs + 2 egg whites, beaten
- Chinese noodles, for topping (optional)
- Add the chicken broth, ground ginger, garlic powder, white pepper, seasoned salt and sesame oil to the Instant Pot. Hit Manual or Pressure Cook at high pressure for 3 minutes. Quick release when done.
- Hit Keep Warm/Cancel and then Sauté and Adjust so it’s on the More or High setting. Add in the scallions and turmeric. Once the soup begins to bubble, add in the cornstarch slurry and stir for another minute until the soup has slightly thickened.
- Then, hit Keep Warm/Cancel again to turn off the heat. Once the bubbles die down, pour in the beaten eggs while gently stirring with a spatula so that egg ribbons form. Do this for about 1 minute until the egg is cooked through.
- Ladle into bowls and top with with some additional scallions and chinese noodles if you desire.
Some people love this with corn added in as well. If you’d like that, just add in a half 10 oz box of frozen sweet corn kernels right before pressure cooking!
The white pepper is going to add a little zest to it (which I love). If you don’t like a little spiciness, simply leave it out!
Make it vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth or using a mock-chicken broth!
Got more people coming? Double the recipe!