Instant Pot Chicken Shawarma
Instant Pot Chicken Shawarma
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil (yes, I know that’s a lot)
- 2 tbsp of salted butter
- 1 yellow onion, sliced longways into thick wedges
- 1 tbsp of crushed garlic
- 4 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into strips with fat trimmed (thighs are strongly suggested for this recipe due to how tender they are, although breasts will do as well – you can also use some beef round/flank steak and pork tenderloin cut into strips too if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup of garlic broth (I used 1/2 tsp of Garlic Better Than Bouillon + 1/2 cup of water but you can just use 1/2 cup of chicken broth if you don’t have this)
- 1 tbsp of paprika
- 1 tbsp of curry powder
- 1 tbsp of seasoned salt
- 1/2 tbsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper (optional)
- For arranging, if desired:
- Pita/flatbread, warmed or room temperature
- Hummus, any of your choice or click here to make mine
- Red onion, sliced into strands
- Cucumber, diced
- Tomatoes, diced
- Tzatziki (click here to make mine)
If you want to use beef instead of chicken, use a beef round/flank steak cut into strips like I use in my black pepper beef recipe. OR use some pork tenderloin cut into strips. Cook time remains the same! Or do a mix of chicken, beef AND pork!
Got Shawarma seasoning from some place authentic? Great! Use about 6 tbsp of that instead of all the seasonings listed in the ingredients!
Remember, we really made this a spice-infused marinade more than a sauce as most of it is compromised of olive oil, therefore its main purpose is to season and infuse the chicken with that amazing shawarma flavor as it pressure cooks in the pot. So while it’s not necessarily meant to be eaten as a saucy soup, it’s perfectly ideal for drizzling over the shawarma and/or rice and veggies (or my Israeli Couscous)!
If you have leftovers and pop it in the fridge, you’ll see that due to the nature of the amount of olive oil used, it will congeal very firmly. A simple heating up in the microwave, on the stovetop or on Sauté mode on your Instant Pot will make heat it up nicely!
To that point, you can keep this spice-infused olive oil in the fridge in a jar and use it for cooking other dishes! It’s truly magnificent!
- Add the butter and olive oil to the Instant Pot, hit “Sauté” and adjust so it’s on the “More” or “High” setting. Once melted and the oil begins to bubble (or the display reads “Hot”), add in the yellow onion and garlic and cook for about 3-5 minutes
- Next, add in the chicken thighs followed by the paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, curry powder, cumin, seasoned salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir well so all the spices are mixed in with everything in the pot
- Then, add in the garlic (or chicken) broth. Stir very well, deglazing/scraping the bottom of the pot
- Secure the lid, hit the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button and then hit “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” High Pressure for 7 minutes. Quick release when done. (Note: Remember, we really made this a spice-infused marinade more than a sauce as most of it is compromised of olive oil, therefore its main purpose is to season and infuse the chicken with that amazing shawarma flavor as it pressure cooks in the pot. So while it’s not necessarily meant to be eaten as a saucy soup, it’s perfectly ideal for drizzling over the shawarma and/or rice and veggies when serving. You can also save any remaining infused olive oil, place in a mason jar and pop in the fridge to cook other dishes with in the future!)
- Prepare your shawarma wrap by taking some pita, spreading on some hummus, laying in some chicken and yellow onion, topping with some strands of red onion, diced cucumber and some tzatziki. Top it off by drizzling the incredible spiced-infused oil we cooked our shawarma in over the top. Wrap it together nice and tightly, making sure the bottom is tight (I know). Wrapping the bottom portion in foil may help with any messy drippings