Instant Pot Hummus
Instant Pot Hummus
- 1 cup of dried Chick Peas/Garbanzo beans
- 4 cups of water, for soaking the Chick Peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 3.5 cups of water + 1/2 tbsp of Vegetable Better Than Bouillon, for cooking the Chick Peas
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp of tahini
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp of crushed garlic, divided
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 7oz jar of roasted red peppers, divided and juice reserved
- Kosher salt (a few pinches)
- Pita chips, for dipping
Want it a little spicy? Add a tbsp of Sriracha and/or about 1/4 tbsp of crushed red pepper flakes before you blend together!
Don’t like roasted red peppers? Leave ’em out!
Want some pesto instead? Add 1/3 of a cup of pesto sauce when blending at the end!
- Soak the Chick Peas/Garbanzo beans in about 4 cups of hot water and cover with a lid. Set aside at room temperature (don’t put it in the fridge) and let soak for 8 hours (do not skip this step as you’ll see the Chick Peas will change significantly in this time ? )
- Once done soaking, drain the Chick Peas and rinse. Add them to the Instant Pot and add the water + vegetable base mixture, 1 tbsp of garlic and the bay leaf.
- Secure the lid and hit “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” High pressure for 20 minutes. When done, allow a 5 minute natural release followed by a quick release
- Discard the bay leaf and strain the Chick Peas and let the broth pass through into a bowl and reserve
- Using a food processor/blender, add the Chick Peas, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, cumin, salt, half the roasted red peppers and a few splashes of the juice from the jar, the other 1 tbsp of crushed garlic and 1/2 cup of the reserved broth. Pulse and then blend until it’s creamy, scraping the sides halfway through and then adding more salt and peppers to taste if desired
- Pop in the fridge to cool for a few hours. While cooking, take the rest of the roasted red peppers and tear up for garnish
- When you take the hummus out of the fridge, carve a little crater out in the center of it using a spoon and fill in with the torn red peppers, sprinkle the rest of the peppers surrounding it and drizzle some olive oil over it when done. Serve with pita chips