Pineapple Dole Whip
Pineapple Dole Whip
- FOR THE DOLE WHIP:
- 1 cup of Dole Pineapple Soft Serve Mix (this is a MUST for this to be just like the Disney version! AND it’s dairy-free, vegan and kosher! This 4.4lb bag will last you a good year so it’s worth every cent!)
- 3 cups of cold water (for dairy-free and vegans)
- 1.5 cups of cold water
- 1.5 cups of whole milk
- FOR THE CREATION:
- 1.5 Quart Ice Cream Maker (This is the GREAT one I use at an amazing price)
- 16″ Piping Bag, for placing the finished Dole Whip inside of to dispense in a soft-serve fashion (I like using these disposable plastic ones – just easier, hassle-free and less clean-up)
- Star-Shaped Decorative Tip, for the end of the piping bag to give it that soft-serve look (you’ll want to use this large size)
- Pineapple Juice, nice and chilled (if making a Dole Whip Float, which I suggest you do)
- Ice Cream Containers, for storing any extra
- KITSCHY EXTRAS:
- Drink Umbrellas
- Pink Flamingo/Pineapple Straws
This recipe will yield about 4-5 good-sized Dole Whips/Floats! Want to make it for only 1 or 2? Simply halve the recipe and churn for 20 minutes instead of 30!
I think that this is the best Ice Cream Maker you can get for amazing value and it works wonderfully with great results every time. If you want one that looks like a mini soft serve machine that will dispense in a swirl-like fashion eliminating the piping step, you can get this Soft Serve Ice Cream Maker. BUT, it’s almost double the price, takes up a LOT more space and, from what I hear, doesn’t work as well as the one I suggest).
This is a dairy-free dessert, but I like adding milk to it as specified in my recipe. I feel it makes it a bit creamier, closer to Disney’s style and slightly firmer. But you TOTALLY don’t need to add it! The water on its own is totally sufficient and the flavor will STILL be just like you know and love at Disney!
Want to make it a grown-up night? When making it a float, spike the pineapple juice with some coconut, light or dark rum!
Want to try it in other flavors?! Go for it – all the other ingredients and instructions remain the same! Dole makes it in these other flavors too!:
- Make sure the Ice Cream Maker‘s drum has sat in the freezer so it’s completely frozen at least 12 hours before making. Assemble the Ice Cream Maker (which takes all of 10 seconds)
- Using a whisk, mix together the Dole Pineapple Soft Serve Mix, water and milk (if using – this will make your Dole Whip slightly firmer and creamier) until the mix is fully dissolved, about 30 seconds
- Turn the Ice Cream Maker on and slowly pour in the Dole Whip mixture into the frozen drum (it may seem like there’s plenty of room left for more, but don’t be fooled. As this churns, it will double in size!)
- Allow it to churn for 30 minutes (don’t go any less than that – we want it as firm as possible for serving at a soft-serve consistency). Turn the machine off when done, remove the dasher (getting as much of the soft serve off and into the freezer drum) and just let the frozen soft serve rest in the freezer drum. Now, if you don’t care about presentation and making this look like actual soft serve, you can serve it right away. BUT if you want it to look like it came out of a commercial soft serve machine, follow the next step
- Get a 16″ Piping Bag (seriously, the larger the bag, the better for this), slide in a large Star-Shaped Decorative Tip so it’s firmly in the bag, and cut off the tip with kitchen shears – making sure all the starred-edges from the decorative tip are exposed through the snipped hole and not covered with any plastic from the piping bag. Scoop a bunch of the Dole Whip from the freezer drum into the bag, twist the top of the bag and squeeze into individual serving bowls
- Want to make it a Dole Whip Float? You’re my hero. Take a glass, fill it halfway with pineapple juice and then scoop or pipe/squeeze the Dole Whip on top of it. Insert a straw, a spoon, and a cliché tropical decoration like a drink umbrella, pink flamingo/pineapple straw or sliced pineapple wedge and serve. (Psst. If it’s grown-up night, spike it with some coconut, light or dark rum!)
- Enjoy! (And pretend you’re about to visit The Enchanted Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room)