Rice Pilaf is that perfect blend of rice and pasta (usually orzo or fideo) and it is as simple and quick to make as it is satisfying to eat! I’m talking eight basic ingredients you may already have in your kitchen where it’ll be on the table in 25 minutes from prep-to-serve. The secret is in some Greek seasoning, but if you don’t have any on-hand, I show you how to make your own in the recipe card below.
Watch The Video!
Coif That Pilaf!
The Taste Test
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) salted butter or 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup orzo or fideo (which is a cut spaghetti)
- 6 cloves (2 tablespoons) garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine, basmati, or any long-grain rice, rinsed for 90 seconds and drained
- 2 cups broth of your choice
- 1 tablespoon Cavender's Greek Seasoning (see Jeff's Tips)
- 2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Add the butter or olive oil to the Instant Pot. Hit Sauté and Adjust so it's on the More or High setting. Once the butter's melted or the oil's shimmering, add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the orso or fideo and the garlic. Sauté another 3 minutes until the pasta begins to get a bit toasted.
- Add the rice, broth, Greek seasoning or seasoned salt, and parsley and stir, scraping the bottom of the pot to get any browned bits up from it.
- Secure the lid and move the valve to the sealing position. Hit Cancel follwoed by Pressure Cook or Manual on High Pressure for 3 minutes. When done, allow a 10-minute natural release followed by a quick release (NOTE: If the pin drops before the 10 minutes are up, making the quick release irrelevant, that's fine. But just wait the full 10 minutes to remove the lid regardless).
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
Using the olive oil in place of the butter will make this dairy-free and vegan.
If you want to make it clucky, toss in some rotisserie chicken meat in Step 5 while fluffing the rice!
Want it lighter? Sub brown rice for white. The pressure cook time will increase to 25 minutes with the same 10-minute natural release.
If you can't find Cavender's in your market (you can get it online here, by the way), mix the following together:
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder