If there was a dish to scream “homemade” American, it’s Green Bean Casserole. Ever since it was created in the 1950s, this classic side makes frequent appearances at holiday tables in the colder months. However, it’s main feature is something I was never too keen on: condensed cream of mushroom soup. So we’re going to make this better than ever by replacing that jiggly substance with the magic of Mushroom Better Than Bouillon! We’re also going to load it up with some rich dairy, taking it to the next level. To top it all off, my Instant Pot version will be done much quicker and simpler than the traditional way!
This post was sponsored by Better Than Bouillon/Summit Hill Foods.
- 4 (14.5-ounce) cans cut and/or French-style green beans (I used 2 cans of each), drained with 1 cup of juices reserved
- 1 teaspoon Mushroom Better Than Bouillon
- 8 ounces baby bella or white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 2-3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5-6 ounce package herb cheese (such as Boursin or Alouette or use 3/4 cup of my homemade version). You can also use 4 ounces (1/2 brick) of cream cheese.
- 6 ounce container fried onions, divided
- After reserving the 1 cup of juices from the canned green beans, mix the teaspoon of Mushroom Better Than Bouillon in with it until it dissolves.
- Add the green beens and cup of green bean-shroom juice to the Instant Pot. Smooth out the beans with a spatula. If using, top with the mushrooms. Secure the lid, move the valve to the sealing position, hit Pressure Cook or Manual at High Pressure for 1 minute. Quick Release when done.
- Hit Cancel followed by Sauté and Adjust so it's on the More or High setting. Add the cream, shredded mozzarella (see Jeff's Tips), and herb cheese. Stir until all is melded together and well combined. Hit Cancel to turn the pot off.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the fried onions. Then, top with the remaining fried onions and serve. Or...
- For a crispy finish: Top with the remaining fried onions, add the air fryer lid, hit Broil (400°) for 5 minutes and serve. Or, you can transfer to a casserole dish, top with the remaining fried onions and broil until browned (just keep an eye on it as all ovens vary).
When adding the shredded mozzarella, start with 2 cups. If you decide you want it very thick (and extra cheesy) after stirring, then add the third cup of cheese.
Don't want mushrooms? Don't add them and use 1 teaspoon of any flavor of Better Than Bouillon in its place!