There’s chili and there’s Buffalo chicken. And then there’s Buffalo chicken chili.
This was originally a slow cooker recipe I would make from the great slowcookergourmet.net with some modifications I’ve made, but when I got my Instant Pot, I wanted to see if I could make it in 20 minutes instead of 6 hours.
And let me tell you something, you can!
This is one of the best chilis you’ll have and to anyone who is a lover on all things buffalo chicken, it is an absolute MUST!
Here’s How I Made It!:
We’ll begin with some ground chicken (or turkey)…
…and add it to our heated Instant Pot.
Stir it up as it cooks…
…until it becomes crumbly and browned.
Next we’ll add in some chicken broth…
…buffalo wing sauce…
…a packet of powdered ranch dressing…
…some frozen corn…
…and some salt.
Give everything a good stir.
Then we’ll add some canned, rinsed navy beans…
…and some drained fire-roasted diced tomatoes.
Give it all a final stir, secure the lid and cook at high pressure.
When done cooking, it’s going to look and smell beautiful! BUT we ain’t done yet! Now we need to turn the pot to “Sauté”…
…add in some cream cubed cheese…
…and some cheddar cheese in batches.
Whisk until ALL of the cream cheese and cheddar have melded into the chili giving it that wonderful color and creamy consistency.
And really finish it off by thickening it with a cornstarch slurry.
Let it bubble for a few minutes while stirring on “Sauté” and then turn the pot off.
As it cools, it will thicken very nicely and it will be ready to serve!
Ladle it into a few bowls…
..and top with some optional blue cheese crumbles!Congrats! You’ve just made some SERIOUS Buffalo Chicken Chili!
- 2 pounds of ground chicken or ground turkey
- 1 can of white navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes, drained (but don’t rinse! You can also use any variety of diced tomatoes you prefer –
- sometimes I like to use the one with zesty jalapeños for an extra kick!)
- 4 cups of chicken broth (use 4 cups of water + 4 teaspoons of Chicken Better Than Bouillon)
- ½ cup Buffalo Wing sauce (you can add more to taste)
- 1 package of ranch dressing mix
- 1 box of frozen corn kernels
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of celery salt
- ½ teaspoon of dried cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 4 tablespoons of corn starch mixed with 4 tablespoons of water to form a slurry
- 8 oz brick of cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 cups (1 bag) of sharp cheddar cheese
- Blue cheese crumbles and oyster crackers for topping
- Set the Instant Pot to “Sauté” and “Adjust” to “Normal”. Brown ground chicken until fully cooked and crumbly – about 5 minutes
- Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT for the corn starch slurry, cream cheese, cheddar cheese and blue cheese and give it all a stir to combine
- Secure lid, seal and set “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” High Pressure for 10 Minutes
- Perform a quick pressure release
- Add the cubed cream cheese, the bag of cheddar cheese and the corn starch slurry. Whisk well until all is melted and incorporated into the chili
- Allow chili to cool slightly so it thickens
- Spoon into bowls and top with blue cheese crumbles and oyster crackers if desired
Want to make this recipe an incredible dip for chips instead of a bowl-n-spoon chili? Just stir in another 2 cup bag of any shredded Mexican style cheese of your choice! (such as Chihuahua, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack or Cotija!)
You can also sub ground beef or ground chorizo for the ground chicken!
Want the best of both worlds? Serve it as a chili, and the next day, change things up by turning it into a dip. Either serve cold right out of the fridge (it’ll be nice & thick) OR heat it up, adding in more cheese (like stated above) until nice and thick and dip in some chips of your choice!