Barbecue chicken transformed into a pasta with no magic wand required? Yes, please. This magnificent, tangy and cheesy pasta dish, known as Barbecue Chicken Pasta, will be done by using less than 10 simple ingredients, with little effort and in virtually no time at all!
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) salted butter
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs and/or breasts, sliced into bite-size chunks
- 3 cups chicken or ham broth (e.g. Ham Better Than Bouillon)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound rotini
- 1 (12-16 ounce) jar sliced banana peppers, with some reserved for topping (optional)
- 10 ounces frozen corn
- 2-4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (see Jeff’s Tips)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- Bacon bits, for topping (optional)
1. Add the butter to the Instant Pot. Hit Sauté and Adjust so it’s on the More or High setting. Once melted and bubbling, add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes, until softened.
2. Add chicken and sauté until pinkish-white in color – about 2-3 minutes longer.
3. Add the broth and diced tomatoes to the pot and stir well. Add the pasta but do not stir. Top with the banana peppers and corn (again, not stirring). Hit Cancel followed by Manual or Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 5 minutes. Quick release when done and stir the pasta.
4. Add the cheese (see Jeff’s Tips) and barbecue sauce and stir until combined. Let rest for 5 minutes for everything to come together.
5. Serve in a bowl and topped with additional (and optional) banana peppers, cheese and bacon bits, if desired.
When adding the cheese in Step 4, start with 2 cups. If you feel you want it cheesier, you can definitely add up to another 2 cups!
You can also add some black beans with the corn!