When I sought out to pen my second #1 Bestselling (sorry, I had to) Lighter cookbook, I couldn’t do it without a pasta chapter. And since Balsamic Mushroom Orecchiette is a delicious and prime example of eating delectable pasta in a lighter fashion, I had to give you a taste.
This dish will satisfy any pasta lover and should take off some of the guilt since it’s definitely lighter and less indulgent than some of my other acclaimed favorites (*cough cough* Sausage & Shells), yet just as flavorful.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce or sugar-free steak sauce (optional)
- 3 1/4 cups mushroom broth (I used 3 1/4 teaspoons Mushroom Better Than Bouillon + 3 1/4 cups water) or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 pound orecchiette (frisbee-like pasta)
- 1/4 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
- Add the oil and ghee to the Instant Pot, hit Sauté, and Adjust so it’s on the More or High setting. Once the oil’s bubbling and the ghee’s melted (about 3 minutes), add the shallot and mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms soften and begin to brown. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute (or just add the garlic in the next step with the balsamic).
- Pour in the balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire (if using) and deglaze the bottom of the pot. Simmer for 3 minutes. Add the broth, oregano, seasoned salt and stir. Add pasta but do not stir. Just lightly submerge in the broth with a mixing spoon.
- Secure the lid, move the valve to the sealing position, hit Keep Warm/Cancel, and then hit Manual or Pressure Cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes. Quick release when done.
- Add the yogurt and stir until melted and creamy. Let rest for 3–5 minutes to slightly cool and thicken.
- Serve as is, or top with a drizzle of truffle oil and/or balsamic glaze.
Can’t find orecchiette? Use any short-form pasta. Up the cook time to
6 minutes, but if you use whole wheat or gluten-free pasta, shave the time down
to 4 minutes.