The other day, I was with my new nephew and that silly “On Top Of Spaghetti All Covered With Cheese” song came on…and I was inspired. Now while that song features meatballs, I wanted to focus on the cheese part and add chicken, chives and a touch of cream. And seeing as I love alliteration, I call it the Four Cs Spaghetti.
Think of it as Cacio e Pepe making love to Mac & Cheese. This spaghetti isn’t only a cinch with minimal work thanks to the Instant Pot, it’s a true crowd pleaser that the whole family can enjoy.
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter, divided
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds chicken boneless/skinless breasts or thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 4 cups chicken or garlic broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 bunches chives, thinly sliced with some reserved for topping
- Add 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) of the butter to the Instant Pot. Hit Sauté and Adjust so it's on the More or High setting. Once melted, add the chicken and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until the chicken is pinkish-white in color (it should not be fully cooked).
- Add the broth, break the Spaghetti over it and add layer it in a crisscross fashion but do not stir. Top with the remaining 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) of butter, cut into a few pieces for even distribution over the pasta.
- Secure the lid and hit Cancel followed by Manual or Pressure Cook on High Pressure for 8 minutes. Quick release when done.
- Add in the cheeses and stir until well combined. Add the sour cream and stir until melded. Let rest for 5 minutes as the sauce will thicken up from the heat.
- Lastly, add in the chives and give it a final stir. Top with additional chives and additional grated Parmesan, if desired.
If you want to sub chicken sausage (or Italian sausage) for the chicken, go for it! Everything remains as is in the recipe.
If you want this with meatballs, skip the sautéing in Step 1, add in about 1 1/2 pounds of frozen meatballs instead and then continue with Step 2, but top the spaghetti with 4 tablespoons of the butter instead of 2 since we didn't add it in Step 1.
While I suggest the cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, you can swap the Mozzarella with shredded Gouda, Swiss, Colby Jack or a Mexican/taco blend!