Instant Pot Dress-It-Yourself Shredded Chicken
Instant Pot Dress-It-Yourself Shredded Chicken
Sometimes we just want to eat healthy and shed a few pounds, but also be able to customize one of the most popular foods around – chicken. And this fantastic, dress-it-yourself shredded chicken for the Instant Pot is the PERFECT thing to a wiser way of eating.
Not only does the chicken shred apart with the touch of a fork, but it becomes so juicy, tender and flavorful from JUST this base recipe that you won’t feel guilty eating it. This is some fine protein here, folks.
And if you want to dress it up, have at it! Want some BBQ sauce on it? Go for it! Want to just squeeze some lemon? Your waist will start shrinking. This will serve as a base for an amazing chicken salad, buffalo chicken dip, chicken to toss into a chicken noodle soup and more.
The sky’s the limit with this one! The best part? IT’S SO EASY and YOU get to make it how (healthy) you want it!
Here’s How I Made It!:
Ready to see what a joke this is to make? Begin with some boneless, skinless chicken breasts…
…lay them in the pot…
…pour in some chicken broth…
…add some salt…
…and some pepper.
Toss the chicken in the pot so the seasoning is mixed with the broth as well as the chicken.
And that’s it! Secure the lid and cook at high pressure. (I told you it was a breeze).
When done, remove the chicken…
…but leave the broth in the pot so we can add some to the chicken for extra moisture and juiciness once shredded (or you can freeze the rest to use as chicken stock for another day!)
Now it’s time to shred this chicken up. And you can totally use two forks to get the job done, BUT if you have a stand mixer, your life is about to get a whole lot easier. (You can also use a hand mixer or immersion blender too – but I like my stand mixer most as it makes it the perfect, shredded texture)
Simply toss the chicken breasts in the mixing bowl, use the paddle (not the whisk) attachment, lower the mixer…
…and blend for a minute.
It will COMPLETELY SHRED IT UP FOR YOU!
Did I lie? Stand mixers aren’t just about mixing batters!
Now remove your freshly shredded chicken and place in a bowl…
…or if you have extra, place in an airtight container to freeze for future use!
Season the shredded chicken with some of the broth the chicken cooked in to add some amazing flavor and to keep it super juicy and moist…
…and mix it up!
Finally, dress that chicken up as you see fit! BBQ sauce, mayo, sriracha, lemon, salad dressing…
…or naked! You can even use this as a base for a chicken salad or soup! Enjoy as a great and healthy lunch/dinner option.
No matter how you make it, it’s DELICIOUS, FAST and EASY!
- 2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (not too thin)
- 1 cup of chicken broth (I used 1 tsp of Chicken Better Than Bouillon mixed with 1 cup of water)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Any additional sauces or seasonings you wish to mix in with your chicken (barbecue sauce, mayo, lemon, salad dressing…whatever and how much of anything you like!)
Use this amazingly simple and delicious chicken as a base for any chicken salad, chicken soup, or BBQ pulled chicken recipe! It’s perfect to eat without any dressing too if you’re trying to shed some weight. It did wonders for me!
Using frozen breasts? No problem! Same cooking time!
Doubling the chicken? Just add another two minutes to the cook time (so 14 minutes)
You can also freeze any leftover shredded chicken in an airtight container and then use to add to soups and pastas later!
- Lay the chicken breasts in the Instant Pot (don’t worry about using the trivet)
- Pour in the broth, add in the salt & pepper, and flip the chicken over so the salt and pepper is mixed in with the broth as well as seasoning the chicken
- Secure the lid, hit “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” High Pressure for 12 minutes. Quick release when done and retain the broth in the pot to mix with some of the chicken once shredded (or freeze the leftover broth to use for a great chicken stock in the future!)
- Remove the chicken from the pot and either shred using forks OR if you have a stand mixer, your life is about to get a whole lot easier! Toss the chicken breasts in the mixer and, using the paddle attachment (not the whisk), put it on speed 2 and let it shred the chicken magically for about a minute! (You can also use a hand mixer or immersion blender too – but I like my stand mixer most as it makes it the perfect, shredded texture)
- Once shredded, transfer to a bowl with a secure lid and stir in about 1/4 cup of the broth the chicken cooked in to keep it moist and add some great flavor and/or also add whatever sauce you want to dress it! Your chicken, your rules! You do NOT need to add any sauce though! It will taste delicious as is – like a skinless rotisserie chicken!
- Place in the fridge when done and it will keep for up to 3 days or you can freeze any extra in an airtight container