Instant Pot Egg Lemon Orzo Soup
Instant Pot Egg Lemon Orzo Soup
Welp, it’s definitely soup season and there are few things as satisfying as a rich, thick, creamy abyss to sink your spoon into. Up the ante if it doesn’t have any heavy cream or butter in it. TRIPLE your bets if it only takes 4 (yes, you read that right, FOUR) ingredients and only 10 (nope, you don’t need to clean your glasses, TEN) minutes right in the Instant Pot!
Avgolemono, a Greek classic, is an Egg Lemon soup typically served with Orzo and it is heaven in a bowl – and it brings me back to my favorite Greek restaurant in Commack, Long Island where I grew up as I couldn’t get enough of the stuff.
Very thick and creamy, yet light at the same time! Here’s how you make this gem of the Santorini Sun!
Here’s How I Made It!:
Meet our family of four. (I wasn’t kidding).
Start off by adding the chicken broth to the Instant Pot
Then, admire your Orzo…
…and do the same. Secure the lid and cook on high pressure.
While the soup and orzo are getting well acquainted with one another in a hot steam bath, take a few eggs…
…and perform emergency surgery.
Now to the lemons…
…squeeze them dry…
…and add the lemon juice to the eggs.
Beat it. (Just beat it).
Next, we’ll pour the lemon-egg mixture into whatever container you want. (I had an old pitcher lying around like the kind you’d find at a Pizza Hut or bowling alley so I used it for nostalgia purposes).
When the broth and orzo are done cooking and the lid comes off, immediately ladle some of it into a measuring cup (Pyrex is best due to the heat)…
…and pour it into the egg-lemon mixture. Stir very well for a little so that the broth cooks the egg lemon mixture. This will serve as a starting base to cook the eggs.
Now pour the egg-lemon-broth mixture BACK into the Instant Pot and cook on “sauté” on the low setting for a few moments so that the eggs are cooked through.
Make sure you are constantly stirring for a minute or two. Once you see some little white strands forming in the soup, it means the eggs are all done a-cookin’. Turn the heat off so that the eggs don’t overcook…
…and ladle into bowls. Maybe sprinkle a little feta cheese as a garnish (this is a Greek soup after all).
6 cups of chicken broth (I used 6 cups of water + 6 teaspoons of Chicken Better Than Bouillon)
3/4 cup uncooked orzo
Juice of 2 squeezed lemons (I’d suggest you use this to Lemon Juice in a bottle)
If you wish to add some Instant Pot shredded chicken, click here to see how to make it!
You can also sub a long grain white rice for the Orzo – just add 3 minutes to the cooking time (so it goes from 5 for Orzo to 8 with rice)!
- Add broth and orzo to the Instant Pot. Close lid.
- Hit “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” High Pressure for 5 minutes
- Quick release. As soon as you remove the lid hit “Sauté” and “Adjust” to the “Less” setting
- While the broth and orzo are cooking, combine the eggs and lemon juice and beat it well with a fork
- Slowly pour 1 cup of the cooked broth into the lemon-egg mixture and stir for about a minute. This is going to give a nice jump start to slowly start to cook the egg mixture
- Now slowly pour the lemon-egg-broth mixture into the Instant Pot, constantly stirring for a good 3 minutes. When it sits still for a moment and it begins to bubble, it’s done and turn the Instant Pot off.
- Ladle into bowls and add whatever else you make like (including shredded chicken or some crumbled feta to garnish), but it’s PERFECT as is!