Nothing cooks rice like the Instant Pot. And it cooks healthy and satisfying brown rice to perfection!
An alternative to white rice, brown rice is really the healthiest rice you can have and it comes out so fluffy and perfect in the Instant Pot, you’ll be making it often!
We’re talking the BEST and EASIEST rice you’ll make with zero worries of it coming out messed up. In fact, this method works like a beautiful charm every time!
Here’s How I Made It!:
Start off by using some brown rice (NOT Instant or Ready Rice)…
…and pour it into a regular measuring cup (they kind you have already lying around your kitchen – not some special rice measuring cup).
Place the rice in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse with cold water until the cloudy water becomes clear (DO NOT skip this step. It’s key to achieve non-mushy, perfect rice).
Place the rinsed rice in the Instant Pot…
…along with equal parts water (this rice is a 1:1 ratio with equal parts rice and water).
Stir everything together…
…so all the rice is submerged. Secure the lid and cook according to the instructions at the bottom of this page.
When the lid comes out, you’re going to see some seriously perfect rice!
Take a fork to fluff it up…
…transfer to a serving bowl…
…bring the rice to your mouth…
…and enjoy any way you see fit! Cover it with veggies or a sauce of your choice – this goes PERFECTLY with literally ANY cuisine or on its own! It’s also the way to start my world-famous Hibachi Fried Rice recipe!
- 1 cup of brown rice (using a regular measuring cup and do not use Instant or Ready Rice), well-rinsed through a fine mesh strainer
- 1 cup of water (also using a regular measuring cup)
- Note: No matter how much rice you want to make, it is always a 1:1 ratio, meaning equal parts rice and water using a typical measuring cup
- Place the rice in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse it under cold water completely for about 30-90 seconds, shaking it around until the water coming through is no longer cloudy, but clear. (DO NOT skip this step as it will ensure your rice will not be mushy and sad and maybe even a little dirty)
- Go to the Instant Pot, add in the rinsed rice followed by the water, stir together and secure the lid. Hit “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” High Pressure for 15 minutes and then allow a natural release for 5 minutes before finishing it off with a quick release. (Note: A natural release means you allow the steam to escape on its in the pot when done cooking. In other words, once the rice is done cooking, you do nothing for 5 minutes and then do a quick release)
- When done, remove lid, fluff with a fork and serve with any dish you see fit or eat on its own! (This is also the first step in my world-renowned Hibachi Fried Rice recipe if you wish to make it even healthier using brown rice!)
If you wish to double the recipe, go for it! Just remember, this rice is a 1:1 ratio meaning equal parts (rinsed) rice and water. No fancy, confusing rice measuring cups needed – a regular measuring cup will do fine! The cooking and release times remain exactly the same!
Brown rice has a slight chew to it, sort of like an al dente pasta – very satisfying!
This is also the first step in my world-renowned (and laughably easy) Hibachi Fried Rice recipe!