The Best Queso
The Best Queso
- 1 pound white American cheese (get this from the deli section and ask for it as a block), cut into cubes
- 1 cup half & half (make sure it’s half & half)
- 1/3 cup salsa verde (green salsa that’s not typically spicy)
- 2 teaspoons Chili Better Than Bouillon
- 10-14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes or diced tomatoes/chile mix, drained
- 4-8 ounce can diced green chiles, drained (these aren’t spicy)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 – 1 cup chili of your choice (optional, make mine!)
As with many dishes, the Better Than Bouillon really sets this on over the edge!
I always use this fondue pot for when I make my Queso. I set it to a 4 when melting the cheese into the half & half and then to a 2 when it’s just resting.
After a while of the Queso resting, a slight film may form on the surface. This is completely normal. Just stir it up and it will melt back into the dip.
White American cheese is, to me, the best cheese for a Queso since it melts so well and really has that lovely Queso taste. But you can feel free to sub any other melty cheese you wish (such as Chihuahua or Asadero cheese). If you use yellow American cheese instead of white, it will basically taste the same but will obviously change the color scheme.
- Take a fondue pot (suggested), enameled Dutch oven or non-stick skillet and set it to medium heat. If you have a non-stick liner pot for the Instant Pot, you can use that as well and set on the Normal/Medium setting. Whatever you use, it must be non-stick so the cheese doesn’t burn or stick.
- Add the cheese, half & half and salsa verde. Stir often with a rubber or silicone spatula until the cheese is melted and thickens into the perfect Queso consistency, about 4-5 minutes. And just like that, you’ve created Queso!
- Add in the Chili Better Than Bouillon and stir until melded into the Queso. This is what really makes it a fiesta and the best!
- Add in all the remaining ingredients, stir and then reduce the temperature to a low setting, stirring occasionally from time to time.
- Serve with any chips or veggies of your choice!