After taking a wonderful trip to Paris, I was inspired to make a few classic French goodies in the Instant Pot. And THIS one is going to make you never look at mashed potatoes the same way again!
We’re talking mashed potatoes SO cheesy, they actually stretch like a taffy and will be the talk of everyone at the dinner table.
It’s called Aligot (pronounced Alley-Go) and it’s going to change your life. This is a RICH and DECADENT dish, so eat it sparingly!
You’ll never looked at cheese and potatoes the same way again.
Here’s How I Made It:
So you’re gonna start with some Yukon Gold potatoes…
…peeled and quartered.
Then we’ll add our trivet and some water to the Instant Pot…
…and rest out potatoes on top. Secure the lid and cook at high pressure.
Meanwhile, we’re gonna grate up some gruyere and mozzarella cheese.
When the potatoes are done cooking, they’re going to look like they’re just begging to be mashed to bits.
And so we’ll do them the honors.
Now we’re gonna add a whole stick of BUTTA. (Did you think this would be a healthy dish?)
Mix it up so it melts into the mashed potatoes.
And then add some of that heavy cream.
Mix it up real good.
Time to add the cheese in batches…
…and stir it up some the cheese melts into the potato mixture. Repeat until all the cheese is melted and absorbed and you’ll notice that potatoes will begin to become stretchy real soon.
Of course we’ll want to add a little salt n’ pepper to the mix!
And as you constantly stir everything together, you’ll see the potatoes turn into a true Aligot as they REALLY begin to stretch. But remember, you should be stirring pretty constantly to achieve this step.
I mean, did you think I was kidding? Just LOOK AT THIS DREAM COME TRUE.
Serve that into individual bowls immediately (or use as a side), but keep it in the Instant Pot on the warm setting so the Aligot remains warmed and stretchy for easy serving.
Whoever eats it will look like this fool right here. And that’s a good thing.
- 2.25 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 pound (16 ounces) of Gruyere cheese, shredded (make sure you use Gruyere and not regular Swiss and you need a good melting cheese)
- 1/2 pound of Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Salt & pepper to taste (I used about 1 tbsp of kosher salt and about 1 tsp of pepper)
- Peel the potatoes and quarter them (cut them into large chunks).
- Pour 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot and add the trivet. Set the potatoes on top of it (it’s okay if some fall to the wayside into the water)
- Hit “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” High Pressure for 8 minutes. Quick release when done
- Drain the water from the pot and then replace the pot to the base. Mash the potatoes right in the pot using a masher and get it so most of the big chunks are turned into a mashed-like consistency
- Hit “Keep Warm/Cancel” and press “Sauté” and “Adjust” so it’s on the “Less” setting
- Add the stick of room temperature butter and mix in with the potatoes
- Add the heavy cream and mix in as well
- In a couple of batches, add all the cheese and stir in using a wooden spoon (this will work best as the cheese won’t stick as badly to a wooden spoon)
- Keep stirring constantly and, like magic, you’ll see the potatoes begin to take on a stretchy, taffy-like consistency and officially become Aligot
- Season with salt and pepper and fold it into the Aligot. Keep stirring until it gets nice and hot and super creamy (about 5 minutes)When done, hit the “Keep Warm” button so the pot it on the warm setting and leave it in the pot when serving as the heat is essential to keep that cheesy stretch going. Transferring it to a serving dish will cause it to firm up if left at room temperature for too long.
- Serve immediately and Bon Appetit!
As you can see, Aligot is intense! If you want to make this slightly healthier, sub 2 heads of cauliflower for the potatoes and follow my Cauliflower Purée recipe. (Click here to get the recipe)