Instant Pot Jeffrey’s Chicken Noodle Soup
Instant Pot Jeffrey’s Chicken Noodle Soup
There is nothing, NOTHING better than the perfect Chicken Noodle Soup – especially on a freezing cold winter’s day or evening. And this one’s going to help fend off those nasty colds!
I am known to make some of the greatest chicken noodle soup amongst friends and loved ones – but it always took about a solid 2-3 hours to do it on the stove. Now, it only takes 30 minutes!
My mom has been begging me to convert my stove-top recipe into one for the Instant Pot so she could be pushed over the edge to finally get one of her own – so here it is, MA!
Here’s How I Made It!:
Start off by going straight to the Instant Pot and add some water…
…and some chicken broth.
No what’s chicken soup with out the chicken?! We’re gonna want to use various parts of a butchered chicken (with the skin on!) and add each piece to the liquid in the pot.
Now let’s take an onion and cut it into large chunks…
…and then add it to the broth as well. Also throw in some Italian seasoning…
…some lemon pepper seasoning…
.. .a few bay leaves with a few shakes of ground black pepper…
…and some kosher salt.
Give it all a good stir, secure the lid and cook on high pressure.
Once done, skim out the onions and bay leaves and discard.
Then, using some tongs, remove the chicken…
…and set aside to cool.
Now let’s chop up some carrot and celery, reserving the leafy tops of the celery…
…and then adding it to the broth as well as some fresh dill (the fresh dill really helps make the soup)!
Now we’ll spice it up with a little seasoned salt…
…some cooking sherry…
…and some parsley. Secure the lid again and cook at high pressure.
While the soup is cooking and the chicken’s cooled down some, discard all the skin, cartilage and bones…
…and rip it apart by hand to shred and set aside.
Let’s also boil some water on the stove and add some egg noodles (I like the ribbons) and strain when done.
Once the soup is done cooking, add the shredded chicken back in.
Then take a bowl and spoon in the desired noodles…
…ladle in some soup…
…and there you have it! Simply the greatest chicken noodle soup you’ve ever had!
- Phase 1 Ingredients:
- 2 pounds of chicken, cut up, skin-on (best to just go to the butcher in the supermarket and ask for them to cut up half of a whole chicken for you – make sure you get a nice mix of parts from the breast to the leg!)
- 2 quarts (8 cups) of water
- 1 heaping tablespoon of Chicken Better Than Bouillon (recommended as it’s the best) OR 4 chicken bouillon cubes (if you can’t find Better Than Bouillon)
- 1 Spanish or yellow onion, peeled and cut into large chunks (you’ll be removing it with a slotted spoon after the stock is made so make sure it’s easy to fish out)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2-3 bay leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Phase 2 Ingredients:
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery, with leafy green tops
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves (or just 1 tablespoon of dried parsley is fine too)
- A few strands of fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons of cooking sherry
- 1/2 tablespoon of seasoning salt (but you can add to taste)
- 1-2 cups of egg noodles (I like the ones that look like wide ribbons)
While the soup is coming to pressure, SEPARATELY boil some uncooked egg noodles. When done, strain the noodles and put as many as you desire in your bowl before adding the soup. It’s important to separately boil the noodles and not add them to the pot when you bring to pressure because they will absorb a LOT of the broth – making it much less soupy and more of a soft and floppy noodle texture.
Also, really send it home with the BEST matzoh balls (click here for the recipe)!
- This Begins Phase 1. Start by placing the liquid and raw chicken in the Instant Pot with the chicken totally covered by the liquid. Then add all other ingredients. Stir. Cover and secure the lid
- Hit “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” High Pressure for 10 minutes. Perform quick release when done
- Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool
- Remove and discard bay leaves and onion with a strainer
- Meanwhile, boil a pot of water on the stove for the egg noodles
- This Begins Phase 2. Add all additional ingredients to the Instant Pot EXCEPT FOR the chicken and egg noodles (keep them out of it). Stir. Put on lid.
- Hit “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” High Pressure for 5 minutes. Perform a quick release
- While the pot is cooking the soup, the chicken should be cool enough to touch. Pick bones clean of all the meat, discarding bones, skin, and cartilage. Shred chicken by hand and set aside
- Also while the pot is cooking the soup, boil the egg noodles for about 8 minutes (or according to package) and strain & rinse when done
- Add the shredded chicken to the soup once the lid is off and stir
- Add desired amount of noodles to a bowl and ladle in some soup